Ads can be very annoying. Especially on Smart TVs like the Samsung, LG, Roku and Sony some ads can be overwhelming. It’s not a nice feeling when you just brought in a new TV and turned it ON for the first time. You would not expect to see Ads immediately.
Worry not. We are going to share a couple of ways to block ads on your Smart TV. With those controls, you will be able to completely block the ads on your TV, even the in-app ads. Sounds cool right?
Here are the 2 ways to block ads on your Samsung, LG, Sony and Roku Smart TVs:
- Filtering specific Ad URLs to your Home Internet Router
- Installing BlockADA app for Android (Works on Android TVs only)
Now we will discuss each method in detail and explain all the steps required to effectively block all the annoying ads:
Blocking Ads with your Home Internet Router
This method requires you to access your Home Internet Router’s settings and configure the Website black-listing or Parental control settings to block some specific Ads URLs.
Step-1: Access your Router’s configuration page
The first step is to access the configuration of your Home router. For this step you will need the URL address of the Router and Login / Password information.
The most common Router configuration URLs for some popular brands are:
- LinkSys Router: http://192.168.1.1
- Netgear / D-Link Router: http://192.168.0.1
- ASUS Router: http://192.168.50.1/
- Belkin Router: http://192.168.2.1
- AT&T Router: http://192.168.1.254
- Comcast Router: http://10.0.0.1
If you have a router that is not listed above, you can Google it like this “Router-brand login URL”.
When you open the page, you will be asked to login with the Administrative user and password. If you don’t remember your password you will need to contact your Internet Service Provider.
Step-2: Filter / Block specific Ad URLs
Now we will look into the procedure of blocking ads on each of the Brands Smart TVs:
For Samsung you need to block the following URLs:
Some of these URLs are for older TV models so you can put all of these in the Web filter to make sure that you’re fully covered.
To disable ads that appear on your LG TV’s “My Content” tab, you need to put these links into the web filter:
For Sony Smart TVs you need to follow a different procedure which is actually easier than the ones we’ve discussed. Follow these steps:
- Go into Settings
- Find “Android TV Core services”
- Roll back all Updates on it. It will give you a warning that you’re rolling back to the initial version. Just Skip it.
- Return to the Home Screen and click on the minus ‘-‘ sign on the far left corner of the row to remove the Sponsored channel.
- Go back to “Apps” in Settings and look for Android TV Core services. Now Force stop it and disable it.
For Roku TVs here’s an easy way to remove the Interactive pop-up ads that display during commercials on Live TV:
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Smart TV experience
- Disable the “Use Info from TV inputs” option
You can also remove all other kinds of Ads on Roku Smart TVs by blocking the following URLs:
Of course you can also disable ads from tv settings.
Go to Settings > Privacy and look for the option Use information From TV Inputs. Turn the option off to disable the ads.[mai mult...]