If you are an IT Pro or the administrator of an organizational unit (OU) or department, you should create the computer account in your department’s OU before adding the computer to ADS. If you do not, the computer will still join to ADS, but the computer account will not reside in your OU; instead, it will end up in the default “Computers” OU and will not inherit any policies you implement. To add one, follow the instructions below. If you are not the administrator of an OU, or if you live in campus housing, skip to Add the computer to ADS.
Create the computer account in ADS
Follow these instructions either at a different computer already joined to ADS, or through the Active Directory Users and Computers console available from IUanyWare. If you don’t use the IUanyWare option, you’ll need to install Microsoft’s Remote Server Administration Tools.
To create the computer account in ADS:
- Log into the workstation using an ADS account that is an administrator for your OU.
- Click . Select , then , and finally .
- Click the (plus sign) next to “ads.iu.edu” to expand the tree, and then click the (plus sign) next to the two-letter abbreviation for your campus.
- Locate and select your OU in the campus tree.
- Click , then , and finally .
- A “New Object – Computer” window will appear. In the “Computer Name:” field, type the computer name. This name must exactly match the name you use for the computer. For information about the naming standards for the ADS domain, see Recommended naming conventions for IU Windows computers and groups.
- In the section labeled “The following user or group can join this computer to a domain”, you must change the “User or Group” field to your account or to a group to which you belong. Click
ADSDomain Usersto allow all ADS users to join the computer to ADS. Click .
. From the list, select the account or group, or type the name in the field below. If you are unsure what to type, you can type
- Click again, and then click . In the “Managed” window, click again.
- Click . The computer account should now be visible in your OU. At this point, you can join the computer for which you created an account to ADS by following the directions below.