When Hulu stops working, the error messages aren’t always that helpful. One of the most common error messages simply indicates that playback failure has occurred. This message is most commonly seen on streaming devices like Roku, Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick, consoles like Xbox and PlayStation, and smart televisions from Vizio, LG, and others.
If you’re trying to watch Hulu on your PS4, and you get a playback error, you need to check the status of your internet connection:
- If you have Hulu or any other app open, close it and return to the main XrossMediaBar (XMB).
- Navigate to Settings > Network > Test Internet Connection.
If that checks out fine, then try resetting your system date and time:
- If you have a game or app open, return to the XMB.
- Navigate to Settings > Date and Time > Date and Time Settings > Set using Internet > Set Now.
If the playback error persists, the next step is to remove the Hulu app and re-download it:
- Go to the start screen.
- Find the Hulu app and highlight it.
- Press the Options button on your controller.
- Select Delete from the menu.
- Press OK on the confirmation prompt.
- Open Store and re-download the Hulu app.
If that still doesn’t work, then try clearing your system cache:
During this process do not enter Rest mode. Shut the system down entirely.
- Turn off the PlayStation 4.
- When the indicator light on the system has stopped blinking, unplug the console.
- Wait at least 30 seconds.
- Plug the PlayStation 4 back in and turn it on.