Using the legacy Disk Management utility, you can format a drive with or without a partition.
Format drive with partition
To format a hard drive with an existing partition with Disk Management, use these steps:
- Open Start.
- Search for Disk Management and click the top result to open the app.
- Right-click the drive and select the Format option.
- In the “Volume label” setting, confirm the name for the drive.
- In the “File System” setting, select the NTFS option.
- Check the Perform a quick format option.
- (Optional) Check the Enable file and folder compression option if you want to save space when storing files.
- Click the OK button.
After you complete the steps, the existing partition (also referred to as a volume) will be re-formatted, deleting any previous data.