Microsoft Outlook makes it easy to draw a line through your email text. On Outlook’s desktop app, you can use simple strikethrough as well as double strikethrough. On the web version, you only have the simple strikethrough option.
Strikethrough Text in Outlook’s Desktop App
In Outlook’s desktop app, you can add both single and double lines crossing text in your emails. The process is different for each strikethrough style, but we’ve covered both procedures for you below.
Apply Single Strikethrough in Outlook
- To add a single line crossing text in your email, first, launch the Outlook app on your computer.
- In Outlook, either compose a new email or open the reply for an email. Then type the text you’d like to strike through.
Highlight the text you’d like to strikethrough.
While your text is highlighted, in Outlook’s ribbon at the top, select the “Format Text” tab.
In the “Format Text” tab, from the “Font” section, select the “Strikethrough” option (a line crossing “ab”).
And the strikethrough effect has been successfully applied to your chosen text.
Tip: To remove the strikethrough effect, select your text and click the same “Strikethrough” option.
And that’s it. Use Double Strikethrough in Outlook. To add two lines crossing text in your email, you’ll use Outlook’s “Font” settings menu.
Use Double Strikethrough in Outlook
- To add two lines crossing text in your email, you’ll use Outlook’s “Font” settings menu.
- First, launch Outlook and either create a new email or access the reply for an email. Then type the text you’d like to double strikethrough.
Right-click your text, and in the menu that opens, choose “Font.”
You’ll see a “Font” window. Here, in the “Effects” section, enable the “Double Strikethrough” option. Then, at the bottom, select “OK.”
Back on the mail window, you’ll see your text now has double strikethrough applied to it.
Tip: To remove the double strikethrough, quickly press Ctrl+Z (Windows) or Command+Z (Mac).
Strikethrough Text in Outlook’s Web App
Outlook’s web version only offers a single strikethrough option. To use it, first, launch a web browser on your computer and open Outlook. Then access the email in which you want to use the strikethrough effect.
- Type new text and highlight it, or highlight the existing text you want to strike through.
While your text remains highlighted, at the bottom of the email box, click the three dots.
From the menu that opens, select “Strikethrough” (an icon of a line crossing “ABC”).
In the email box, you’ll see that your text now has strikethrough applied to it.
Tip: To undo the strikethrough effect, select your text and choose the same “Strikethrough” option.